On March 11 at 2:45pm JST 9.0-magnitude earthquake occurred near the northeastern coast of Japan, creating extremely destructive tsunami of 23 feet waves.
As news on Japan eathquake is making headlines.
“In the flattened hamlet of Shizugawa, Koji Sato, a carpenter who usually builds homes, is making coffins. He said he hasn't had time to really think about the hardship he's faced. ‘All I have been doing is making coffins.’ “
This excerpt of news is really touching.
Nepal lies in one of the most seismically active regions in the world. Approximately every 75 years, Kathmandu is impacted by an earthquake of magnitude 8.0. A strong scale earthquake is due to strike Nepal anytime.
The preparedness on the Earthquake and Disaster Relief for Nepal is very important:
I. Various infrastructure systems safety and resilience (Engineering, analysis, design, construction,
II. Telecommunication robustness including disaster telecommunication networks
III. Medical preparedness
IV. Short and long term relief operations
To achieve the above goals, a committee will be formed with membership from the lead organizations (ASNEngr, CAN-USA, and ANMF), supporting organizations listed below and others joining in the future including concerned organizations in Nepal such as government and non- governmental agencies, professional engineering, medical and scientific organizations; academic institutions and private industry. The committee will also examine past and present efforts and propose specific mechanisms by which the broader Nepali diaspora may efficiently respond in the event of an earthquake disaster in Nepal, including but not limited to the following specific areas:
• Pre- and post- event establishing relationships with key rescue and relief organizations
• Pre- and post- event establishing information sharing networks amongst diaspora
• Optimal routing to Nepal of critical individuals, information, and resources
• Pre-and post- identifying organizations having emergency funds targeting Nepal
• Pre- and post- event identifying means for reliably sending donations
• Media relations and public safety awareness program
Leave a Reply: NAFA Chautari Forum
Source and more details : American Society of Nepalese Engineers